What if I say, your toothpaste can be substituted? Meaning, you can actually brush your teeth without your traditional toothpaste. The substitute I’m talking about is COCONUT OIL. Scientists from the Athlone Institute of Technology in Ireland compared and studied the effects of coconut oil and toothpaste in the mouth. From the results they got, they believe that there are advantages that can make you choose coconut oil over your old toothpaste.
We are all aware that dental health is vital. Researchers believe that enzyme-modified COCONUT OIL can be the next step in dental health as the enzymes can break down the fatty coconut oil into an acid that can attack the bacteria present in your mouth. Irish scientists have studied the effectiveness of coconut oil in improving oral health by conducting tests that included testing coconut oil samples with streptococcus mutants, an acid – producing bacteria which can cause tooth decay in both children and adults and the bacteria proved to be very effective.
WHY SHOULD I USE COCONUT OIL?
For those who are looking for a reason as to why you should pick coconut oil over your regular toothpaste. Here is why…
- Goodbye to Chemicals: Most of your regular toothpaste are loaded with chemicals especially Animal studies have shown that triclosan causes fetal bone malformation in rats and mice. Also, it is found that triclosan is linked with concerns over antibacterial resistance and endocrine disruption. Another chemical found in conventional toothpaste is fluoride. This chemical is an industrial effluent that is toxic to your body even when found in traces in your body.
- No Foaming Agents: All the foam arising while brushing is due to surfactants which are nothing but chemicals like sodium laureth sulfate (SLS), Sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium ether lauryl sulfate (SELS). What you need to note about these chemicals is that they interfere with your taste buds by breaking down the phospholipids present in your tongue. Remember how everything tastes bad right after you’ve brushed that’s because of these surfactants because they enhance the bitter taste. Now using coconut oil will maintain the natural balance of lipids on your tongue while fighting against the bacteria.
- Say Bye to Decay: Researchers say that massaging youryour gums with some coconut oil for about 10 minutes daily will reduce the bacteria that cause decay and plaque.
- Cheap &Best: You will need only a small amount of coconut oil to keep your teeth clean so just one bottle of it will last for months thus making it a cheaper alternative to conventional toothpaste.
HOW TO PREPARE COCONUT OIL TOOTHPASTE?
I’m going to tell you a simple recipe for making coconut oil toothpaste. These are the things you would require:
- Baking soda- 6 teaspoons
- Hydrogen peroxide- ¼ teaspoon
- Coconut oil- 2 tablespoons
- Pure essential oils like peppermint, clove or citrus oils- 10 drops
Method of Preparation
Take the specified amount of baking soda in a bowl and add to it all the other ingredients. Mix everything well and make a paste out of it. Store this paste in an opaque container in order to protect the hydrogen peroxide. Now your coconut oil toothpaste is ready to use.Check out HackzHub – General Knowledge Sharing Blog for more such informational articles!
My final verdict is that it is wiser to choose coconut oil over conventional toothpaste because it’s natural, effective in maintaining a good oral health and has no side effects. Stay healthy stay happy.