5D Building Information Modeling (5D BIM) is a virtual-model based development of building components. You can use it for creating models for various demonstration purposes. Alterations in different factors like layouts, design elements, square footage or choice of materials can be tested even before the project work begins. You can also assess the impact of such factors on the project construction schedule and cost.
Features of 5D BIM
The key features of 5D BIM are as follows:
- Better Understanding of Project Scope: It helps understand project scope better because of the visual and data modeling capabilities that it provides. You can calculate costs based on all factors such as materials, design, site condition, phase, and even the timeline set by you.
- Real-Time Data Access: Get access to data in real time. Get up-to-date data as the model evolves or when changes are made to it. You can check feasibility of different concepts without incurring big costs. The result is shortened cycle time for designing and estimation, resulting in increased efficiency.
- Better Team Communication: It becomes easier to help your team understand the proposed design, cost factors, and concepts. Project teams receive accurate and concise description of concepts, scope, schedule, and costs.
- Access Proven Data: 5D BIM allows you to access data with proven success. You can access historical data from specific industry to develop more cost-effective concepts.
The modeling system allows you to test different scenarios to find the one that is most efficient. It makes it possible for all stakeholders to visualize the completed project and understand all the factors included within the budget. It helps in eliminating any room for surprises.
What are the Benefits of 5D BIM?
5D BIM allows you to conceptualize all elements of your project. Whether its layouts, schedule, costs, or other factors, everything can be conceptualized. The result is that you can get better guidance from your project team and make more informed decisions. The system will also boost your confidence in achieving the desired goals from the project. The use of this model provides a clear vision from the very start, ensuring that each element aligns with the ultimate goal.
Helps Link Cost Data & Planning
The system provides higher level of detailing which further helps in generating more accurate quantity estimates. This makes it easier for Calgary industrial contractor to generate more accurate cost estimation data to place bids. The costs can cover everything including:
Exact building component quantities can be estimated based on as-built models to make accurate estimates for the entire structure. If you need to make changes to even a single component, the changes in costs can be calculated accurately.
Accurate Deadline Estimation
Another advantage of using 5D BIM systems is that they enable your project to get completed on the deadline. All activities and costs can be accurately estimated, helping ensure that your project will not miss a deadline. Some of the ways in which it can help with this regard are as follows:
- All avoidable traffic at the site can be avoided
- Every worker gets adequate information on their role
- The need for reworks is eliminated or reduced
- Sustainable design is created
- Idle time for the workers and equipment can be reduced
Besides, the integration of cloud technology further allows project teams to access data without concern where they are located. They can also keep track of the project and ensure that the updates are taking place as per the plans.
Thus, there are many reasons for embracing this new modeling system in pre-construction phase. It can help all the stakeholders involved in a project – from the owner to the contractor to the project managers to the entire teams.